Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Final Diagnostic Essay Draft: The Time Traveler Returns from the Past


It’s a bird, it’s a plane, no, it’s the Time Traveler. With my superpower I will have the ability to alter the course of my history and that of mankind for the better. I believe that most people at some point in their life wish that they could go back or forward in time. They may want to change a horrible experience, or they may wish to see what the future holds for them. Whatever the case may be we could all benefit from time travel.

Last time we visited July 8, 2002. This is the day before my son was injured at the hands of our former babysitter. He is now able to do all the things he wasn't able to do before. He is riding his bike with all of the neighborhood kids. Rocco is now eight years old and has many prospects for life. I am now able to teach him how to bat a ball and how to play catch. Though this is an exciting time in our life we are still going to be starting from scratch. Over time things will smooth out and we will come out stronger than ever.
The second day I visited was May 5, 1997. This is the day I arrived at my duty station in Gaeta, Italy. The reason I chose to revisit my first duty station is because no one wants to repeat boot camp. I am back from my service tour and I was able to amass what in my mind is a small fortune and able to receive the education I needed. I knew what had to be accomplished with the ability to forgo all the little missteps along the way. I was able to keep from going to captain's mast, twice and I was to avoid the beatings I got from the Italian Carabinieri Military Police in their small improvised jail cells. After dealing with some of my missteps I would then journeyed to places in history where we could have used someone to talk us out of some situations that would then create a ripple in our existence. In my pursuit of trying to make a better history for us I travelled through time to vastly different places. Some places were in prehistoric time when monstrous animals and dinosaurs roamed the earth. Some places were in a very distant future where I had to wear special protective gear in order to keep the atmosphere's gases from melting my skin which, was caused from the stripping of the various layers in the Ozone.

One of these places I went to was in 1441 to stop Goncalves from accidentally creating slavery. My time in the 15th Century was fascinating. It was as if all my history books had come to life. There were open air markets that only had a few staples of food. The vegetables were not of a great quality or size and most of them were beginning to rot. The fish permeated the air with a foul odor. The people were dressed in what to me looked like funny costumes. The colors they wore weren’t very vivid, and the people of higher means had a funny looking neck brace looking thing. I was finally able to speak with Goncalves and show him in photos from present time what his one act of giving the Royals the right to the people in his charter would do. I purposely showed him photos that were black and white because I knew he wouldn’t understand why a photograph would be in color. And we now live in a time that never knew slavery.

As a time traveler I will always have my own interests at heart, but I also believe that that shouldn’t keep me from allowing mankind to benefit from my power. That’s all from the Time Traveler for now. On next weeks episode we travel into the future to see where we could have stopped the catalyst to the erosion of our Ozone. Please tune in.
"Goncalves Family Crest." Photo. www.tradebit.com 16 Nov. 2008. 08 Dec. 2008

1 comment:

  1. When do I get to read about what happens next week? I'd like to.

    I'm unsure about the photo being in black and white. Cameras were not invented until maybe the 1830s at earliest, so I'm thinking it wouldn't matter, or maybe a color photograph would be more believable. I don't think anyone would have thought of black and white then and most paintings were probably in color.

    Of course you could go further back to stop slavery, and not just the slavery that existed from the 1500s through the 1800s.

    ReplyDelete